Features and Specifications
A Retail Liquor Store Permit authorizes a qualifying business to sell beer, wine and spirits in closed containers for off-site consumption. This permit must be used within the City of Saskatoon only, and cannot be transferred to a different community.
The auction takes June 8-28, 2021. Being the successful bidder gives the individual/business the opportunity to apply for this Saskatoon Retail Liquor Store Permit -- it does not automatically qualify the individual/business to hold a liquor permit. The prospective retailer must meet all Saskatchewan Liquor and Gaming Authority (SLGA) requirements to hold a commercial liquor permit, including good character.
Within three business days of the close of the auction, the highest bidder will be contacted by the seller and be required to:
- execute the Purchase Agreement, attached;
- pay the $750 (plus GST) Bidder’s premium (payable to McDougall Auctioneers Ltd.).
Payment of the winning bid (payable to SLGA Retail Inc.) is as follows:
- Within 30 days after the conclusion of the auction, 25% of the total bid amount must be paid;
- Within 12 months after the conclusion of the auction, an additional 50% of the total bid amount must be paid; and
- At the earlier of 18 months from the conclusion of the auction, or the effective date of the new Retail Store Permit, the remaining 25% of the total bid must be paid. Note: the bid amount must be fully paid and the permit issued prior to the opening of the bidder’s retail liquor store.
If an applicant fails to meet the good character requirements during the permitting process, the bid amount paid to date will be refunded. The $750 bidder’s premium is non-refundable as is the initial 25% payment.
In order to obtain a retail store permit, there is also a $525 permit application fee and $525 annual permit fee. Nothing in this auction process requires SLGA to issue a Retail Liquor Store Permit to a successful bidder. A bidder who is awarded the right to apply for the Retail Liquor Store Permit will be required to make application to SLGA and meet all the terms, conditions and requirements of SLGA to be issued a Retail Liquor Store Permit. The successful bidder who qualifies for a Retail Liquor Store Permit must open the retail store within 18 months of purchase of the permit.
Retail liquor stores operating in Saskatoon must operate as a standalone store (freestanding or store-within-a-store configuration). Retail Liquor Store Permit holders must meet all applicable zoning bylaws of the city of Saskatoon.
More information is available in the attached documents.